Poem: Kingdom of Rain by Rustum Kozain

from these I am growing no nearer

to what secret eluded the children

Derek Walcott, Sainte Lucie I


Kingdom of Rain

Somewhere in some dark decade

stands my father without work, 

unknown to me and my brother

deep in the Paarl winter and a school holiday. 

As the temperature drops, he,

my father, fixes a thermos of coffee

buys some meat pies and we chug

up Du Toit's Kloof pass in his old '57 Ford, 

where he wills the mountain - under cold cloud, 

tan and blue rockface bright and wet with rain - 

he wills these to open and let his children in, 

even as he apologises - 

my strict and angry fearsome father - 

even as he apologises for his existence

then and there his whereabouts declared 

to the warden or ranger in government

issue, ever-present around the next turn

or lazing in a jeep in the next lay-by: 

''No, sir, just driving. Yes, sir, my car.''


At the highest point of the pass

we stop to eat, and he, my father, 

this strict and angry, fearsome father, 

my father whom I love and his dark face, 

he pries open a universe that strangely

he makes ours, that is no longer mine: 

a wily old grey baboon, well-hid

against salt-and-pepper rock, eyeing us;

some impossibly magnificent bird of prey

rarely seen, racing to its nest as the weather turns. 

And we are up there close I think

to my father's God, the wind howling

and cloud rushing over us, awed

and small in that big car swaying in the gale. 


Silence. A sudden still point

as the universe pauses, inhales

and gathers its grace. 

Then, the silent, feather-like fall

of snowflakes as to us it grants

a brief bright kingdom

unseen by the ranger. And for some minutes

a car with three stunned occupants

rests on a mountain top outside the fast

ever-darkening turn of our growing up;

too brief to light the dark years

when I would learn:


how the bright, clear haunts of crab and trout

where we swim in summer

now in winter a brown rage over rock;

how mountain and pine and fynbos

or the mouse-drawn falcon of my veld;

the one last, mustard-dry koekemakranka

of summer that my father tosses through the air

to hit the ground and puff like a smoke bomb;

and once, also in summer somewhere, 

a loquacious piet-my-vrou;

or the miraculous whirliwig of waterhondjies

streaking across a tea-coloured pool

cradled by tan rock and fern-green fern;

my first and only owl, 

large and mysterious

in a deep stand of pine, 

big owl we never knew were there

until you swooped away, stirred by our voices;

how I too would be woken and learn

that this tree and bird, this world

the earth and this child's home

already fell beyond his possessives. 


And how, once north through the dry

Bushmanland with its black rock, 

over a rise in the road, the sudden green

like the strange and familiar sibilants

in Keimoes and Kakamas. 

And the rush of the guttural was the water

over rock at Augrabies. 

The Garieb over rock at Augrabies, 

at Augrabies where the boom swings down, 

the gate-watch tight-lipped as a sermon: 

''Die Kleurlingkant is vol''

as he waves through a car filled

with bronzed impatient white youth

laughing at us, at my father, my father

my silent father in whom a gaze grows distant

and the child who learns this pain past metaphor. 

How like a baboon law and state

just turned its fuck-you arse on us

and ambled off.

© Rustum Kozain, 2005

    We are grateful to the esteemed indigenous poet, Rustum Kozain, for granting permission to publish here his poem, Kingdom of Rain. This poem was published with the permission of the author and is copyright protected. It may not be stored, displayed, published, reproduced, or used for any other purpose without prior and written permission by the author. 

Opmerkings